Pages

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

(mis)Adventures with Twitter

As part of my subject this semester I promised myself that I would really push myself to use social media tools that I am not overly familiar with. Part of my challenge is to start using twitter, so I decided that I would tweet from the conference (ImaginePLNSW) that I am attending this week. I have been practicing over the last few days, and have found it to be a frustrating experience. I installed the twitter app on my iPad, but found that when I search for tweets with the subject hash tag #INF2506 I only get a few, not allow them. I couldn't find a fix for this, so decided to try hootsuite and tweetdeck as alternatives. Both seem fairly easy at first glance, but I am finding that if I retweet from hootsuite, I cannot get it to show in the #INF2506 stream. I feel like the last few days have been going around in circles, but have plans to catch up with a few more experienced people here at the conference to pick their brains!

I have spent some time thinking about what makes for a good tweet, especially from something like a conference, and will be try to aim to link to presentations and info presented when I can, to make the tweets more valuable.

Shoal Bay (the. Conf location) is lovely, and apparently, there are lots of dolphins in the harbor -I will keep my eyes peeled!

4 comments:

  1. twitter is one thing that drives me nuts, I've set mine up so that my blogs posts and things just get tweeted from my blog, so I dont have to write anything else lol, also its linked to my instagram..maybe use instagram instead for social media..photos instead of tweeting.

    ps I left you a message on skype, just dont think you got it yet
    x Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Courtney - trying out a few different things -will check Skype when I get home from conf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sonya,

    I am sharing your frustration with Tweets showing up in #inf2506. I can't see mine when I do a search either. Still, I guess I have learnt something I did not know about Twitter before so all is not lost.

    Cheers
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dale,
    I think the worst part is that it is really hard to find out why - certainly nothing in the help documentation from the service providers. If you were using this as an important part of your communication strategy, are you failing to reach a segment of your audience, or failing to communicate all you want too, and how do you know that it's happening. It has certainly been a learning experience.
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete